Tuesday, February 2, 2010

First Blog: Me as a learner, as a person, tech. history.

--Since being at college it seems like very teacher has a way of asking the same question. That question is: how do I learn? I have become well versed in explaining this over the last few times. I know that I have a decent memory and that I can learn from reading the material, or listening or by doing it out. I most like listening because i am by heart a lazy person and that takes the less amount of actual work. So i like to learn by lecture because I have no real problem remembering what was told to me or at least enough to get average grades, which is OK with me right now.
--My experience with technology has been extremely in depth as far as my education goes. When i was in high school i took a vocational degree program called Networking and Computer science. It was taught be an instructor that used something called Cisco Netacad to asses us. We took the test online and our text was online as well. I have access forever to the new versions of the text because i took the class. In the class i had high enough grades for them to pay for my A+ certification. Since then i have been working for desktop support at the schools i have attended and in the field as well.
--I worked as a network engineer out of high school for a wireless ISP called Great Auk Wireless in Vermont. There I had my first impressions that tech work was not for me. I was very bored with what i was doing and depressed that it was not the life i thought it was. Once a network is up and running it takes very little to keep it that way. It does not take about 40 -60 hours a week which i was working. Then at VTC i took computer and software engineering and that was the final straw, i knew tech work was not for me because i would be so bored all my life. I now have decided to teach.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gavin,

    I think that teachers ask ad nauseum about how you learn because that is the quickest way for us to understand what makes you tick and then to design instruction that best meets your needs. Thank you for sharing again with me!

    You must be a very auditory learner if you learn best by listening to the instructor. In my experience, I have not found that to be the norm. You are extremely blessed if this is the case. Do you ever feel that you hear something, but don't really understand it until you apply it to a new situation? I'm just curious.

    Again thank you for sharing with me and I look forward to working with you this semester.

    ~Judi

    ReplyDelete