Monday, February 15, 2010

Fourth Blog: Setting a Course in Technology

--Thinking back to my kindergarten experience this class has a leg up on me. It was very interesting to see the students so engaged in the classroom and actually genuinely excited for the lessons. Anything that can get kids invested in what they learn and actually makes them want to learn is very exciting. I wish I had had access to the technologies then have when I was a kid and hopefully this will foster excitement in learning that will follow them all the way to the high school level where I will be teaching at.
--The teachers where using something that I saw in middle school. That technology is the Smart Board, a very powerful tool. This allows them instant access to the internet with just clicking on the board they teach on. Any information they would want is at their fingertips. If students have questions that the teacher may not know the teacher can just click a few times and access that information. Kids are sponges at that point and having the supply of information that can keep up with their interest in it is a very important factor in today's schools. I saw a teacher showing how a “b” can look like a “d” but is not the same thing by placing them over each other, this eliminates a lot of confusion that children have about letters and spelling. These boards can help literacy and give kids a real world view of their lessons. They were also using a karaoke type machine to help the entire class hear what they were saying because sometimes a child's voice doesn't carry very well and this helps the students really pay attention to what there classmate was saying.
--Seeing stuff like this makes really glad that I am deciding to become a te4acher. The kids of the future will be more attached to technology and that means they have access to an endless sea of wisdom. Hopefully this trend continues into my teaching life and beyond.

1 comment:

  1. Gavin,

    I definitely believe that technology is the way of the future. It is one of the reasons I feel so passionate about the importance of all teachers to utilize technology in the classroom. When I started using technology several years ago, I was floored at how engaged the students became and how they really learned the content thoroughly. I was so used to teaching and reteaching content and I saw a sharp drop in the need to reteach because my students to it the first time. Technology can truly be a powerful tool if used correctly.

    ReplyDelete