Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Third Blog: Uncreative Education

--First off that was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be a boring twenty minute lecture and it was far from it. I agree very much with Sir Robinson. He voiced something that I have been seeing myself. I have been seeing the arts being taken out of schools and quite recently huge cuts from the high school I attended in the music program. I believe that teaching kids to think abstractly is the most important thing you can do. Teaching kids to come up with ways to figure things out over running a machine more efficiently. Without creativity in the human mind then nothing would have ever been accomplished and we should look at hat fact and act accordingly. The only way to act accordingly in that sense is to teach kids that creativity is paramount. With it then none of the other subjects would have been realized in the first place. The first words spoken were born of creativity and out of the same creativity the solutions to the futures problems will be answered, if we let them.
--I wish my parents had fostered creativity in me. I wish they saw me for the sponge I was when I was younger and made me learn piano or guitar or another language. But they didn't so I found my own creative outlet when I was a young teen. I wrote a lot, little things at first then short stories so slowly now I am working on a book. This was brought on by the fact that I loved (and still do) to read. Reading is something that I value above not much else, maybe music but they are tied into each more than more people realize. In school they always were trying to get me on ADHD medicine and other things like that and never saw the fact that I was always reading when I wasn't bouncing off the walls. I loved music but never had the money for an instrument, which still pains me today as I am just learning guitar. I would have given so much for a guitar when I was younger. I was always excited for Mr. Rosettas music class, the only teachers name I remember other than Mr. Dagle, my art teacher when I was young. I also enjoy drawing and painting and sketching all the time now. In class it even helps me pay attention to be drawing. I wish my teachers had noticed what I was doing and actually fostered creativity in me instead of just saying: “You are too hyper, sit down and write your math equations over and over and over and over again till recess is done.” I am going to make it a point when I am teaching English to bring out as much creativity and abstract thoughts from my students as I can possibly manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment